Friday, April 24, 2009

Mas Tequila!

-by El Gitano Peñasco, "The Peñasco Gypsy"

The first time I slammed down a shot of cheap Tequila I naturally had at the ready salt, lime and of course a cold beer as a ‘back’, and I clearly remember asking Richard (who suggested the shots) immediately after the ritual, “Do you really like this s*#t or what?”

Many thoughts, words and minutes passed before Rich poured us two more and this time I noticed the second shot wasn’t as bad as the first and so a night of Tequila merry-making progressed with a spirit of '(more) shots for everyone…’

When I woke up the next morning the fun times had vanished and I realized that I was a couple bricks shy of a full load. Not being at the top of my game I naturally blamed it all on the Tequila and vowed then and there to never-ever touch that ‘stuff’ again; a declaration that stood for nearly two decades.

Many years later in Hawaii I was to meet with another friend for ‘Aloha Friday’ Happy Hour (Pau Hana) at the ‘Top Of The I’ (a restaurant at the Ilikai Resort/Hotel) and when I ordered a bevy my friend Brian requested a shot of Tequila.

I asked Brian what he specifically enjoyed about the concoction and that is when my Tequila edification began because, as it turned out, Brian had not only lived in Mexico for many years but, as expert wine professionals know wine, Brian is a Tequila Connoisseur.

That night I learned the difference between rotgut Tequila and the fine brands that are kept under lock and key— the same difference you find between something like Thunderbird wine and Chateau Lafitte.

I recently spoke with Brian on the phone and told him about Rocky Point, the ‘happenings’, etc., and he asked if Penasco had (among other ‘amenities’) a “Tequila Club” (society, guild, alliance) of any kind. That got me thinking…

Since Tequila is ubiquitous in Penasco and I don’t think it is being stocked as a décor item only, maybe others reading this Blog also enjoy the elixir and will share their thoughts, ideas, stories, recipes, etc., here on Rocky Point Tides and see where the journey takes us…

Surely there is something to blog about. For example, I read that there are upwards of 800 certified brands of Tequila, and that in 2006 a private collector shelled out $225,000 (cold-cash-dollars) for a bottle of Pasion Azteca Tequila (100% Blue Agave; produced by Tequila Ley .925) which apparently set a Guinness Record for the most expensive bottle of liquor ever sold.

Maybe in time there will be an annual Tequila Festival for RP Tides Bloggers. Not a bad idea and like so many other wonderful things about Mexico that are rich in history and flavor, etc., fine Tequila, IMO, is also something to be treasured, savored and enjoyed amongst like-minded Amigos…

A Gypsy can always dream!

¡Viva Puerto Peñasco y México!

Gypsy

elgitanopenasco@gmail.com

Awaken your inner beachbum
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain