Tired of cooking and eating the same old things for breakfast? Having trouble getting the kids interested in something besides McDonald's? Here's something easy, healthy and a guaranteed hit for the whole family. (And it's good for lunch, too!)
This recipe comes from Mission Foods, and the glory of it is that you can easily substitute your own ingredients to satisfy everyone. For instance, instead of sausage, substitute chilorio (the canned kind is fine if you don't have fresh) or chorizo; add some diced roasted peppers; choose your own favorite cheese (I personally like a flavorful Manchego, some Queso Blanco or Pepper Jack, or substitute Chihuahua for the Cheddar). Once I even cooked up a can of roast beef hash to replace both the sausage and potatoes, and doggone, if I do say so myself, it was pretty good! Not particularly Mexican, but good... ;)
You can put anything you like in the tortilla-- but this recipe is a good place to start!
- 4 Mission® Flour Tortillas
- 4 Eggs
- 1 large Tomato diced
- 1/2 lb. ground Sausage
- 1 large Potato, cooked and grated (you can boil the potato the night before and keep it in the refrigerator 'till you need it)
- 1 cup Mozzarella or Cheddar Cheese grated
1. Cook ground sausage in pan, add potatoes, cook until brown. Drain fat.
2. Warm tortillas according to package. Scramble eggs.
3. Divide all ingredients evenly down the centers of the torillas and then top with shredded cheese. Season to taste with salsa or salt and pepper.
4. Fold tortillas and serve immediately.
A dollop of sour cream or guacamole inside before you roll these up makes for a nice finishing touch, and don't forget to offer your favorite salsas on the side along with some fresh fruit to make it both pretty and healthy!
If you have a favorite recipe for a Mexican or Mexican-inspired dish, I'd love to add it to our recipe box! email firstname.lastname@example.org (and put "recipe" in the subject box so I'll know what it's about)