If you think there's nothing to do in Rocky Point besides eating, drinking and lying around on the beach you haven't been paying attention. Below you'll find just a few of my favorite things, beginning this month and extending into March.
The 5th Annual Shrimp & Commerce Festival
Saturday, January 23, 2010 at the Plaza del Cameron (Shrimp Plaza) Noon to 6pm.
What can you expect at the Festival?
- Regional Dance Performances
- Culinary Showcase from Various Restaurants and Local Establishments (prices start at $1 [one] dollar!)
- Showcase & Factory pricing of arts & crafts, furniture, jewelry, clothing, shoes, kitchen accessories, etc.
IT'S A PARTY! Following a 9-year hiatus, CARNAVAL is back in Puerto Penasco!
- Feb 11: Starts with the "Burning of the Bad Mood" in the Governor's Plaza in the Malecon, followed by a parade down Blvd. Benito Juarez (Main street).
- Feb 12 to 16: There will be a carnival in the open space between Playa Bonita and the Penasco del Sol, with rides for the kiddies and much more.
- Feb 13, 14 and 16 (Saturday, Sunday and Tuesday) there will be parades from Baseball Stadium to the Penasco del Sol.
Coronation of the King will take place on Feb. 11, and the Queen on Feb. 12
Note that the Queen of Carnaval will be chosen on January 29 in the Malecon, followed by a street dance that is open to the public, so why not plan for a good couple of weeks' stay?
Las Conchas Home Tour
Saturday, March 6
Each year the Intercultural Center for the Study of Deserts and Oceans (CEDO) docents organize a spectacular tour of beautiful Las Conchas homes. This annual home tour was begun many years ago by CEDO volunteers as a fun fundraiser for CEDO. They will have between 6 and 10 beautiful homes on the tour, and it's well worth the price of admission to get a look at them!
Tickets are $15/person or $12/person for groups of 5 or more and are on sale at the CEDO gift shop. Event-day tickets will also be available on the Las Conchas main road.
All proceeds from the tour benefit CEDO. More information is availabe by calling CEDO at 382-0113/5 or e-mailing email@example.com
If you have not yet visited CEDO or participated in any of their fascinating events, you don't know what you've been missing! And do visit their gift shop if you're interested in taking home some items that you will never find in any of the other gift shops in Penasco!
Those are just 3 of the great things to celebrate in Puerto Penasco this year. Make plans to come on down and party with us!
If you're not in the mood for making the drive down, don't forget that you can leave the driving to someone else by using one of the shuttle services available, such as Rocky Point Rides in Tucson or Head Out to Rocky Point in Phoenix. You've got no legitimate excuse for avoiding some fun in the sun-- at the beach!