Thursday, April 1, 2010

I've Been Away Too Long...


-by La Huerita

You may have noticed that I've been away for a while. Heck, if it weren't for The Gypsy's columns there wouldn't have been anything new here for ages!

Call it a "perfect storm" of circumstances interfering with my blogging, culminating with my laptop going into a coma. Fortunately it didn't die, recovering at the manufacturer's hospital following an intricate operation. But it took a long time, and I haven't had it back for very long so I'm still catching up with everything.

I had more than 3,000 emails gumming up my inbox, can you believe it?!

Some things I've learned:
  • Internet Cafes in the USA have pretty much gone the way of the Do-Do bird; I guess everyone's use of smart phones must have been a death knell to that business. Hot spots are ubiquitous, but are no good if you don't have your own laptop.
  • Kinkos has a business center with computer access, but they want anywhere from $12 to $18 per hour. I'm too cheap to pay that, especially since it takes several hours to keep this blog going properly.
  • The Public Libraries offer free access, but most have anywhere from a 4- to 6-hour waiting line. Yikes!
So that's just one more reason to love Mexico: Lots of Internet Cafes available, and at very reasonable rates! Of course, on any given day they may not open on time (or at all), but there's always another one somewhere around that might be open.

As an apology for my away time, especially since it's Thursday and I don't have a recipe prepared for you, here's one of my favorite pictures: Tide pools along a sandy beach in Rocky Point. (Click it to see it bigger)


Isn't it beautiful? Don't you wish you were there?

I'll be getting back in the swing of things shortly, here. Have a happy Easter weekend, and may your families be well blessed!

La Huerita
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain