Monday, May 24, 2010

A Followup to the HWY 8 Travel Warning

Here are a couple of additions to the story about the travel warning for HWY 8 between Sonoyta and Puerto Penasco.

First up: A couple of videos are available from KOLD News 13 along with a transcript that reads in part:

We're here at the Lukeville Port of Entry, which is pretty much the gateway to Rocky Point. We talked with travelers heading in and out of Mexico today. They say warnings like this might worry them, but it won't keep them from going to the popular vacation spot.

"We're going to Rocky Point and we've been traveling there for the last 30 years," Irma Letson said.

The Letson family is from Phoenix. They're making their final pit stop before heading down to their home in Rocky Point.

"I have friends there (Phoenix) who are quite concerned about me ever going to Mexico," Carmen Bovee explained.

But the family members make the trip frequently and say, even though there's a travel warning, they've never had any problems.

Catch the videos at http://www.kold.com/Global/story.asp?S=12535262

And here's a video report from Tucson's KVOA News with Lupita Murillo:



If you can't watch this video, you can access a transcript at http://www.kvoa.com/news/travel-warning-issued-for-drivers-headed-to-rocky-point/

Another news report, from Tucson's KGUN Channel 9, included the following as part of their story:
The message also states some people who have not stopped at these unofficial checkpoints have been shot at and killed. We asked the U.S. State Department for more information on these killings. All they could say is they do not have any information regarding American citizens being injured.

So we called Rocky Points Director of International Relations and Tourism. Fausto Soto told us these reports are rumors. Soto says the state police, the federal attorney's office and the mayor's office have all investigated and found nothing.

"So far we have been trying to find out about this information and so far it's unfounded, it's untrue," Fausto Soto said.

The consulate's office first sent out this message to it's employees then released it to the general public because it could affect anyone.

Soto also told us the beach city is planning to have extra roadside assistance and patrols in the area during the busy Memorial Day weekend.

You can read that report here: http://www.kgun9.com/Global/story.asp?S=12535326

La Huerita out...

Rocky Point Tides- News From Puerto Penasco © 2008. Template by Dicas Blogger.

TOPO