Thursday, May 27, 2010

Trader Joe's Healthy Smoothie


Lucky me, and lucky you, too! Just in time for the beginning of hot weather, when I start to crave cool, rich, delicious things to drink, Joni Goode sent me this recipe for a healthy, fruity smoothie. And she included photos to help us know how it's put together.

The ingredients are simple (the best things are often simple, don't you think?), and you can use whatever fruits you have on hand. Joni used bananas, mango and strawberries in her example. It's hard to beat the combination of banana and mango, but I used what I had in the house (don't you know I had to make some right away!), which turned out to be bananas, kiwi fruit and strawberries-- and it was delicious! Next time I think I'll try it with mango and maybe some blueberries...

Joni tells me she worked at Trader Joe's in Tucson for 5 years and during checkout she would talk food. This was the best recipe by far. The tofu gives you that extra energy boost-- and don't let the fact that it's healthy scare you away from trying it. This is seriously good stuff!

TRADER JOE'S HEALTHY SMOOTHIE:

Ingredients:
  • 2 ripe bananas
  • 1oz tofu
  • 1/4 cup yogurt
  • 1/2 cup soy drink or milk
  • fresh or thawed frozen fruit, your choice (I used 3 kiwis, peeled, and 1 cup of strawberries along with the bananas)


Place bananas, tofu, yogurt and soy milk in blender and blend until all ingredients are smooth. Add fruit and blend some more (until smooth). Serve immediately or chill in refrigerator.


TIP from Joni: Never put frozen fruit in first; when the liquid goes in, the fruit just stays a blob of frozen fruit!

And I might add that if the tofu is at room temperature, it will blend more quickly.

And that's all there is to it! Thank you Joni!!!

Buen provecho!

If you have a favorite recipe for a Mexican or Mexican-inspired dish, I'd love to add it to our recipe box! email lahuerita2@gmail.com (and put "recipe" in the subject box so I'll know what it's about)
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain