Friday, July 16, 2010

Viva Paraíso!

-by El Gitano Peñasco, "The Peñasco Gypsy"

After thinking on this for a long time I’ve decided that it is in my best interest, and indeed everyone that I’m associated with including my dear wife, to do what so many other brave souls have done in the past: Today, officially, I’m announcing my ‘coming-out’ of the closet!

Now hold on Gringos, it is not exactly what you think. You see, for too many years I have actually disliked the name “Rocky Point” for our little community nestled along side the Sea Of Cortez. Even before I ever first came here that ‘tag’ just didn’t conjure up beach, breaking surf or seaside images in my mind.

Jacques Cousteau once described the sea in this manner: “The sea, once it casts its spell, holds on in its net of wonder forever”. And although I’m sure Mr. Cousteau would have appreciated the ‘Crag’ aspect of our portside community, I’d bet the farm that he could have come up with a name more befitting this area, had he been asked.


Yeah, I know it's been called "Rocky Point" for generations, but there's no poetry in it and the place can use all the poetry it can get. There has to be a better ‘tag’ someone could come up with so that when people the world over think of Puerto Peñasco images of the sea, beaches, moonlit nights, romance, adventure, fiestas, etc. fill their minds and hearts with great images and a burning desire to visit (or retire) here…

Which reminds me of something else Jacques Cousteau once said about the sea and that is: “The sea is the universal sewer”. Although I’m not comparing our current ‘tag’ to a ‘sewer’ by any stretch of the imagination, I am suggesting that Rocky Point (aka: The Big Rock, A steep rugged mass of rock projecting upward or outward…) isn’t exactly the best we can do.

Oh well, a Gypsy can always dream…

¡Viva Puerto Peñasco y México!

elgitanopenasco@gmail.com
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain