Sunday, February 13, 2011

Calexico and Mariachi Luz de Luna: El Picador

I'm a big fan of two Tucson bands: the indie-rock/alt-country group Calexico and Mariachi Luz de Luna, especially when they play together. Somehow they've managed to meld together on those occasions into a force of nature.(What? Drums with mariachi?!) When I'm lonesome for Mexico and I want to hear great mariachi (with a twist), I generally find their version of El Cascabel and rock out to it several times in succession. (By the way, Calexico's drummer, John Convertino, is outstanding!)

But I've already posted that YouTube here in The Tides, so I went looking for something different this time. And lo! and behold I found this great version of El Picador, from the DVD World Drifts In: Live at the Barbican, London. 2004.



Once upon a time, when I first began to live in Mexico, I occasionaly paid wandering mariachi bands to go play somewhere else, far away from me. I'm embarrassed by that today and confess it all red-faced and repentant. I LOVE mariachi. I hope you do, too, and I hope you enjoy this video. Turn it up really loud and enjoy yourself!

Wouldn't it be great if we could get them to perform in little ol' Puerto Penasco???
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain