Thursday, May 12, 2011

Grilled Red Snapper With Red Pepper Sauce


MaryB sent me this recipe (thank you, Mary!) with the following note:

"This recipe isn't original to me, I found it on the Kraft Foods website when I was looking for something new to do with the huachinango my husband brought home from his day of fishing. I didn't have any banana leaves handy so I used foil instead and it turned out very good, but I think the banana leaves would have given it a different flavor and next time I'll try that.

"Anyway, it's really easy to do, the whole thing only took about half an hour from start to finish (not counting the cleaning/filleting of the fish, etc., which is a task I refuse to do. He catches them, he cleans them! I eat them. ) The red pepper sauce was delicious, with just enough heat to notice it.

"Our neighbors joined us for a Saturday afternoon BBQ. (They brought the beer and chips.) I served the fish with a salad and fresh bolillos, generously buttered, and everyone agreed it was delicious!

"I hope you'll enjoy it!"

Grilled Red Snapper With Red Pepper Sauce
Serves 6

Ingredients:
  • 1 jar (12 oz.) roasted red peppers, drained
  • 1/2 cup KRAFT Real Mayo Mayonnaise
  • 3 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1/2 tsp. ground red pepper (cayenne)
  • 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro1
  • large banana leaf (48x14 inch) plus additional banana leaf strips
  • 2 red snapper fillets (2 lb.), cleaned, boned
Directions:

HEAT grill to medium heat.

BLEND roasted peppers, mayo, garlic and ground red pepper in blender until smooth. Transfer to bowl; stir in cilantro.

CUT banana leaf into 4 pieces, each about 12 inches square; place 2 pieces on work surface, with sides slightly overlapping. Top with 1/4 cup pepper sauce, 1 fish fillet and additional 1/4 cup sauce. Wrap leaves around fish. Repeat with remaining leaves, fish and 1/2 cup of the remaining sauce.

TIE wrapped fish with additional banana leaf strips to secure closure. Grill, covered, 15 min. or until fish flakes easily with fork, turning after 8 min. Serve with remaining sauce.

If banana leaves are unavailable, use 4 (12-inch) squares of heavy-duty foil instead.

If you want to use your oven instead of the grill, heat oven to 400ºF. Assemble fish bundles as directed. Bake 15 min. or until fish flakes easily with fork.

Thanks again, Mary!

Buen provecho!

If you have a favorite recipe for a Mexican or Mexican-inspired dish, I'd love to add it to our recipe box! email lahuerita2@gmail.com (and put "recipe" in the subject box so I'll know what it's about)
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain