Friday, February 17, 2012

¿Podemos hablar, Peñasco?

-by El Gitano Peñasco, "The Peñasco Gypsy"

I swear as I get older time goes by like Star Trek warp speed (faster than the speed of light, 186,000 miles per second). The other morning while cruising around in cyberspace I came across a “Rocky Point” website that was all excited that the ‘darlings’ of Spring Break 2012 are fixin’ to head our way once again!

Now don’t get me wrong as I’m ‘pro’ youth and good parties. So much so the fact of the matter is that I went to a super-fiesta back in the 1970’s and I’m still carrying on to this day, albeit a tad slower!

What I am opposed to are the kids who drink until they drop, drive drunk, puke all over the place, pee or worse defecate in the swimming pools and the Sea Of Cortez; don’t tip properly, survive on $1 tacos, cram their friends into one small hotel room during their stay, treat the locals like the Norte kids are somehow superior or ‘especial’ and even though I appreciate a nice ‘body’ the nudity and breast flaunting thing is a poor representation of most college students!


And yes, I know there are ‘Spring Breakers’ who don’t behave like the crowd I just described but when it is all over pretty much everyone who lives here will only remember ‘them’ (the naughty ones). And it is because of ‘them’ the world over that some tourist destinations no longer allow ‘them’ to invade their ‘home’ for Spring Break’.

So, here is a hypothetical question Amigos and Amigas of Peñasco. If the Spring Break crowd came down and brought all their own food and drink and camped on the beach or in their own RV’s and never rented an accommodation or went to a cantina, restaurant or shop, etc., would they still be a welcomed commodity?

I ask because when I look at the economics of the Spring Break troops and the financial impact they have on Peñasco--- including the additional costs borne by all the tax payers for extra security (such as police; man-hours, gas), street-cleaners, etc.--- it seems to me the money spent on ‘them’ could be better invested in the community for more services, schools, etc.

And then when I look at the very small handfull of business owners (like bars) who are the only ones that really profit from the Breakers’ short stay here, well, like I asked, can we talk, Peñasco?

A Gypsy can always dream!

¡Viva Puerto Peñasco y México!

Gypsy

elgitanopenasco@gmail.com
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain