Friday, May 8, 2009

Lip Smacking Delights in Rocky Point

-by El Gitano Peñasco, "The Peñasco Gypsy"

Fans of the popular 1960’s TV sitcom The Andy Griffith Show may recall the episode in which Aunt Bee entered her God-awful homemade pickles in the Mayberry County Fair but lost out to Clara Johnson, who once again won the coveted Blue Ribbon…

Recently, while watching a segment of that 1961 episode (“The Pickle Story”) where Andy, Barney and Opie concocted a plan to get rid of Aunt Bee’s original batch, I found myself thinking about food. That led me to thinking that if I had to recommend a ‘must-eat’ place for a first time visitor in Penasco I’m not sure that I could.

I dare not boast that I’ve visited every dining establishment in Rocky Point but over the years I damn sure have hit a big chunk of the eateries there. Yet for the life of me I cannot come up with one specific ‘to-die-for’ place (or ‘dish’) to recommend.

On the other hand, I could offer a suggestion or two about a couple of places that I would not recommend, but after all these years not one eatery stands out in my mind (and taste buds) as the crème de la crème.

Don’t get me wrong, there are good places for breakfast, lunch and dinner (snacks, too) all over Penasco, but I’m talking about succulent, ‘chin-dripping’ eats that make the mouth water all the while gaining a pound or two just anticipating the next luscious feast…

So I’ll ask Rocky Point Tide readers for help, and hopefully some will recommend which restaurant has the best comida basura/chatarra (junk food), the best comida casera (home cooking), comida rápida (fast food), cocina/comida (cuisine) ‘cause I’m developing an insatiable seaside appetite and will soon need a ‘fix’-- and maybe seconds, too!

Viva México!

elgitanopenasco@gmail.com
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain