Friday, October 2, 2009

Los Gallos de Puerto Peñasco!

El Gitano, the Gypsy
-by El Gitano Peñasco, "The Peñasco Gypsy"

During a recent journey north of the border for two nights and three days I felt like something just didn’t seem quite right the first few mornings when I’d wake up, brush my teeth and then grab a cup of ‘Joe’ and head out to the veranda to reflect on the previous day's activities.

And then on my last morning, while waiting for the first glimpse of dawn, I (finally) noticed that I could hear the beginnings of the morning rush hour traffic on the interstate that was about two miles away from the hotel where I was staying.

While listening to that eerie sound of untold thousands of tires hitting the pavement I began thinking how wonderful it was to be heading back to Peñasco later that day and also about the poor souls the world over who have to climb in their little cars and deal with those God awful rush hours for 20-40 years of their lives…

Those thoughts led me to appreciate once again just how good we have it here in Peñasco (even with all those little community quirks) and that we are fortunate to live, work or just play in a really neat little seaside community where a traffic jam or rush hour is often caused by no more than Pablo or Juan taking too much time pushing his carro del helado across the intersection…

As I was sitting there on the patio that last morning listening to the traffic noise escalating I also noticed that I could hear train whistles off in the distance and being close to an International airport, too, the constant roar of jet engines overhead seemed almost non-stop.

And then it hit me like a shot of Don Julio Tequila! Where are the roosters, I thought? No, not the darling little fowl that wakes you up in the morning from next door or across the street (the one you’d like to have in a pot, with dumplings.) I’m talking about the morning call of the rooster miles away whose echoes are about the only noise you’ll likely hear early each morning in Peñasco while enjoying that first taza de café and maybe gazing at the constellation Orion and contemplating the wonder of its famous nebula that spans approximately 24 light years…

A starlit sky, the soft slap of waves and roosters singing up the dawn... I couldn’t wait to get back!

¡Viva México y Puerto Peñasco!

Email me: El Gitano Penasco
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain