Friday, June 11, 2010

Two Killings Two Weeks!

-by El Gitano Peñasco, "The Peñasco Gypsy"

According to a June 10th online report in The Dallas Morning News, the FBI (and other witnesses) said that “Mexican security forces pointed their rifles toward U.S. authorities investigating the shooting of a 15-year-old Mexican by a U.S. Border Patrol agent on the banks of the Rio Grande.”

Obviously that tragic situation is not directly related (yet) to Puerto Peñasco, but the situation at the U.S./Mexico border town of CIUDAD JUÁREZ, Mexico got worse and could have become even more tragic as apparently both ‘sides’ (U.S./Mex authorities) had their weapons pointed at each other.


Added to that drama, just two weeks earlier on May 28 Anastasio Hernández, 42 years old and a 28-year resident of San Diego, was being deported to Tijuana, Mexico and died shortly after he was stunned with a Taser by U.S. authorities.

So, to the east of Rocky Point and to the west things are getting downright ugly and I fear that it is only a matter of time before something like this hits our Lukeville/Sonoyta border crossing. That concerns me greatly.

The only thing I know for sure about the two ‘sides’ of these armed combatants is that every time I cross the border, at every crossing along the two nations that I’ve traveled, the Mexican authorities are always much more pleasant and treat me with respect and dignity when compared to most of their U.S. counterparts!

In fact, many U.S. agents I’ve encountered are usually rude, abrasive and downright arrogant (maybe it is just me?). When I’ve been pulled into secondary screening and they bring out the dogs, the mirrors, etc. and find I’m not a terrorist, not a criminal, not a drug runner, not hiding people in my trunk etc. do they say anything nice?

Nope, just a grudging wave of the arm to ‘move-out’, all the while still glaring…

¡Viva México y Puerto Peñasco!

elgitanopenasco@gmail.com
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain