Thursday, April 28, 2011

Ceviche (With Avocados & Orange Juice)


I was feeling lazy the other day (again! But in my defense I've been ill...). Anyhow, I needed something cool and easy to make that would stir my tastebuds. Ceviche would hit the spot, but I wanted something a little different and somehow I ended up on the Avocados From Mexico website. And there it was, the perfect ceviche!

The recipe called for shrimp and sea scallops along with the usual suspects used in ceviche, but what caught my eye was the addition of orange juice and chunks of avocado. So I tried it, with a very freshly baked bolillo on the side. It was very good. In fact, it was the PERFECT light lunch. I think you'll like it too!
CEVICHE (With Avocados & Orange Juice)
Serves: 4 as a salad or 8 as an appetizer (or 2 as the main course...)

Ingredients:
  • ½ pound large shrimp (21-25 per pound), peeled, deveined, tails removed, and halved
  • ½ pound sea scallops, quartered
  • 1 ½ cups fresh limejuice (juice from 6-8 limes)
  • ½ cup white or red onion, chopped
  • 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
  • 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • 1 ripe avocado from Mexico, peeled, seeded, and diced
  • 1 medium red tomato, diced
  • 2 tablespoons cilantro or celery leaves, chopped
  • 1 jalapeno pepper, seeds and veins removed, finely diced (optional)
Directions:

Combine limejuice, shrimp, scallops, and onion in a medium glass bowl. Toss to combine, cover with plastic wrap, and place in refrigerator to marinate for 3 hours or until the shrimp and scallops are white in color.

Drain the liquid from the shrimp-scallop-onion mixture, but do not rinse. In a large glass bowl whisk together the orange juice, olive oil, and salt. Add the avocado, tomato, cilantro, jalapeno pepper and marinated seafood. Toss gently to combine, and serve immediately.

I confess I didn't have any sea scallops on hand, but I did have some nice red snapper fillets, so I used that instead, cut into pieces about an inch square. It worked out just fine, but next time I hope to use scallops...

My thanks to Avocados From Mexico (and yes, my avocados WERE from Mexico!).

Buen provecho!

If you have a favorite recipe for a Mexican or Mexican-inspired dish, I'd love to add it to our recipe box! email lahuerita2@gmail.com (and put "recipe" in the subject box so I'll know what it's about)
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain