Friday, July 8, 2011

"35,000" for Puerto Penasco?

-by El Gitano Peñasco, "The Peñasco Gypsy"

Seems the 4th of July was pretty busy. I read one Mexico news source that wrote that the “beach front hotels" welcomed 35,000 of visitors and in a AZ press release they claimed "Peñasco already has a good hotel infrastructure, with more than 5,000 rooms available, plus condos and houses…”

Pretty darned impressive numbers, but over the years there have been other ‘reports’ suggesting that Peñasco receives upwards of 3.5 Million tourist each year and long time readers of El Gitano know how I feel about those numbers.

And in case you missed that rant, to have 3,500,000 ‘turistas’ visit Peñasco that would mean that every day of the year, all 365 of ‘em, we’d see a little over 9,589 vacationers roaming the streets and even if the tourista count was ½ of that claim we’d still see about 4,800 visitors strolling about town every day of the year.

What the real numbers are I don’t think anyone knows but for the life of me I was stunned to learn that we have “5,000” hotel rooms in our fair community and as hard as I’ve tried (and looked) I can’t seem to verify that number either.

I received a scathing e-mail this week from someone who suggested that I am too negative on “Rocky Point” (not my words) and that I should promote “Arizona’s Beach” (not my words) and not rant on this, that and other ‘stuff’.

As long time readers know I am 100% + “PRO’ Puerto Peñasco, the people, lifestyle, etc. But what I’ve always been against is the carpetbagger types like those ‘pump and dump’, disreputable, unethical and unscrupulous real estate gurus who sold Peñasco as the “next Cabo” etc. and then took their commissions and left town in the middle of the night when the crash hit.

And I’m also against graft, especially of the political corruption variety, and as in any community on this planet we have that right here as well. And lastly, for today, I loathe false and/or fact-less reports suggesting that we have millions of visitors and untold thousands of hotel rooms or that over the recent holiday weekend “35,000” stayed at our “Beach front hotels”…

A Gypsy can always dream!

¡Viva Puerto Peñasco y México!

elgitanopenasco@gmail.com
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain