Friday, July 6, 2012

Las Vegas Flights To Peñasco?

-by El Gitano Peñasco, "The Peñasco Gypsy"

If it happens I’ll be the first to welcome the rumored new air service by AeroMéxico because marketed properly to the million+ folks living in the Vegas market it would be a surefire shot in the arm for our local economy and I suspect that, unlike the Phoenicians, visitors traveling from Vegas would be inclined to come down for a week or two ‘vacation’ and spend some big Pesos!

I did check with the AeroMéxico website and as of this writing there is no mention of service coming from Vegas to Peñasco (and back) and when I e-mailed them for more information that inquiry bounced back as not being deliverable.


I also tried to get the round trip flight costs (quote) from Las Vegas to Hermosillo, which is a route listed on their website, in order to get a basic idea of the cost to fly here but alas, at least when I attempted this, what came back on my screen was that the (air) service was not available.

Nonetheless, I hope it is true that AM will service the Vegas/ Peñasco market but I will also cautiously remind everyone that not too long ago across the ‘pond’ to our neighbors in San Felipe also wanted air service out of LAX and Vegas, etc.

However, after a lot wheeling and dealing by the local ‘players’ and after much fanfare, when the first ‘bird’ arrived it ultimately fell flat on its face because, in part, and IMHO, the local business community was too shortsighted to back the flights and markets with promotional Pesos.

Anyway, I did sign up today for the AM newsletter that is ‘supposed’ to keep me up to date on new destinations, package deals, etc. so the moment I find out if the pending round trip air service from Vegas to Puerto Peñasco becomes a reality I’ll be sure to pass along the info.

In the meantime:

A Gypsy can always dream!

¡Viva Puerto Peñasco y México!

Gypsy

elgitanopenasco@gmail.com
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain